Friday, May 23, 2008

Hillary: Unforgivable

I've been angry at all the crap that Hillary and Bill and have pulled during this election, her desire to win at all costs, even if she destroys the party in the process. Her desire to win clearly moving into desperation. But today she went too far, way too far. In answering a question about why everyone wants to push her out of the race she said this:
My husband did not wrap up the nomination in 1992 until he won the California primary somewhere in the middle of June, right? We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California. I don't understand it.

Her meaning couldn't be more clear, she's hoping Obama gets shot so she can step in and be president. Everyone is saying it's just a gaff, she really didn't mean that, but I disagree. Sure, it was a gaff, but something like that doesn't come out at a press conference unless that thought is very much on her mind. I'd be willing to bet it's even been discussed behind closed doors at her campaign. I've wondered why she hasn't dropped out before now, her continuing at this stage is just insane. Now we know, she's hoping for the worst, because it would be the best for her.

I've long remembered a stand up routine Eddie Murphy did back in the 80's, talking about Jesse Jackson. Eddie imitated the first black man to run for president, he ran all over the stage, pretending to dodge bullets. I didn't think it was funny and the feeling I got was that Eddie didn't either, there was a real edge to him that night. When Barack first started running I remembered that Eddie Murphy show with dread and have often thought that I hope Barack is taking his security seriously.

Bobby Kennedy was the hope of change for his time and was brutally killed. I was 14 at the time and I was as shocked and saddened as I had ever been in my young life. How dare Hillary say what she did, how dare she even hope for Obama's assassination even for a second.

I think she not only ended her presidential campaign today but ended her political career as well. No chance now she will be VP, no chance of anything except maybe being able to hold on to her senate seat. But don't count on it.

Update: I was looking for some stories on this and was surprised at how many people saw nothing wrong in her comments, but then something else leaped out at me. She's said this same thing 2 or 3 times before over the past few months. Keith lists them in his Special Comment but that really didn't register with me but now I get it. This was no gaffe, she is trying to say that people should vote for her because there is too good a chance of Obama being assassinated. This is far worse than I first thought it was, this is absolutely deplorable as a campaign tactic. I'm beyond angry now.

Keith Olbermann was almost too angry to speak when he did his special comment on this tonight.

No comments: