Thursday, July 29, 2010

Kindness

A few days ago Lorena asked me where I got the first quote over to the right about kindness. I couldn't remember but got curious, best I could find is that Plato was the first to say a version of that and many version have been said many times since then.

I also came across a website that I like very much called Quotations About Kindness. There were many good quotes, I will only share a few so go to the site to read the rest.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these. ~George Washington Carver
I have to say that this comes damn close to the heart of my own personal philosophy.
Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something and has lost something. ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
If every man's internal care
Were written on his brow,
How many would our pity share
Who raise our envy now?
~Peitro Metastasio

One man cannot hold another man down in the ditch without remaining down in the ditch with him. ~Booker T. Washington

Life is short but there is always time for courtesy. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson,Social Aims

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Loroena said...

Ah, lovely quotes. I suppose they strike a cord with me because that is exactly what my mother didn't teach me. She taught me to compete, to argue, to act defensively, to crush the ignorant, to show off my knowledge. All terrible stuff.

So now, when I see quotes like that, they really help me remember that making friends rather than enemies makes life so much easier!