Sunday, December 17, 2006

Procrastination

Blogging is a great way to put off work when you want to procrastinate. Here it is, Sunday, I'm at my home computer ready to work, football on my little TV, and what do I do? Post on my blog, of course.

One thing I want to do on my blog is talk about OSX applications I like, I have about a dozen good ones for making life easier for a Mac. Apple makes their basic system then third party people come in and develop all kinds of apps to do all kinds of things so OSX becomes as customizable as it's possible to be. Today I'm going to mention my number one app - PATH FINDER, that's the screenshot above. It's a Finder replacement, I didn't even realize how inadequate Apple's Finder was until I started using Path Finder. On the left I have a shelf for all the folders I use all the time, just to the right of that is all my hard drives and below that are folders of my current works in progress. In the middle is my usual Icon View, at the bottom right is my Preview, it will show a preview of pretty much any image file including Illustrator files (that's my granddaughter Ally in the preview). Above that I have all open apps which I can quit from PF one at a time or all at once, but I usually have that set for Info. It would be impossible to describe all of Path Finder's features except to say I can no longer work without it, and with version 4.6.1 they seem to have gotten all the bugs out and it's fast and never crashes. Check it out for yourself at Cocoatech, you can download it for free and test it for 21 days, must have Tiger. That's just long enough to find out you can't live without it and the $32.95 price is very reasonable and includes a full version of Stuffit 11.

Now, time to get to work. . .

No comments: