Saturday, March 8, 2008

McCain's Temper

There is an article at salon.com by Mark Benjamin about McCain's temper. But it sounds like this is more than temper, apparently he can go far enough out of control that some generals who know him don't want his hand close to the button:
"I like McCain. I respect McCain. But I am a little worried by his knee-jerk response factor," said retired Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton, who was in charge of training the Iraqi military from 2003 to 2004 and is now campaigning for Clinton. "I think it is a little scary. I think this guy's first reactions are not necessarily the best reactions. I believe that he acts on impulse."

"I studied leadership for a long time during 32 years in the military," said retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Scott Gration, a one-time Republican who is supporting Obama. "It is all about character. Who can motivate willing followers? Who has the vision? Who can inspire people?" Gration asked. "I have tremendous respect for John McCain, but I would not follow him."

"One of the things the senior military would like to see when they go visit the president is a kind of consistency, a kind of reliability," explained retired Gen. Merrill McPeak, a former Republican, former chief of staff of the Air Force and former fighter pilot who flew 285 combat missions. McPeak said his perception is that Obama is "not that up when he is up and not that down when he is down. He is kind of a steady Eddie. This is a very important feature," McPeak said. On the other hand, he said, "McCain has got a reputation for being a little volatile." McPeak is campaigning for Obama.

Obama's coolness under pressure sure looks like a plus compared to McCain. I wonder how messed up the guy really is from his 5 years at the Hanoi Hilton. I mean I respect him for surviving that ordeal, I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it, but something like that has GOT to mess a guy up for life.

No comments: