Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Obama vs Hillary

I'm a Political Junkie. It just dawned on me today as I was watching Keith Olbermann talk about today's debate. I didn't watch it, wasn't sure what channel it was on and I will have all kinds of chances to watch it on the web later. Keith said it had been 50 days since the last debate and did a list of what had happened since then; Rev Wright, Obama's race speech, Bitter-gate, etc. And all I could think of was "What fun all that was!!" That's when it dawned on me.

It's all the fault of the internet which makes so much of this easily available and lets me post on my blog as if I'm talking to the whole world. It's also the fault of Air America and other progressive talk networks, and Keith Olbermann, all of whom have made it easy and entertaining to be immersed in this stuff all day long.

Then there is the fact that I think this is the most important election in American history. Bush has destroyed us, not all by himself, we've been building up to this since Reagan was elected, and Cheney and Rumsfeld helped a lot too. I see Obama as the next FDR, who came in and saved us after Hoover destroyed us with conservative politics. And I am not being facetious, we are no longer the America that I thought we were as a kid, we aren't even the America I thought we should have been when I was a teenager. The ideal is dead, the rich run everything and let people die by the thousands (and I mean the holocaust of no health insurance as well as Iraq) so they can make more money, we torture people and have a new King George who is not subject to the rule of law. Our constitution is shredded and it is what made us America, something which far too many are ignorant of.

There have been dire moments in our past where we were destroyed and we have managed to come through them, but things are different today. The Civil War was an obvious and clear danger, but what we have now is hidden in enough political-speak that most people aren't even aware we've been destroyed. But 81% think the country is going in the wrong direction and a clear majority also think George Bush has destroyed our economy, so some of what has happened has gotten through.

This election might be our only chance to come out of it and so many things can go wrong in the near future. After all, we wouldn't be here right now if Jack, Bobby and Martin hadn't been brought down by the guns of assassins. We are poised on the brink of history and it has been and should continue to be interesting. Which reminds of the old Chinese curse; "May you live in interesting times."

No comments: