Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Birthday Yesterday

Turned 55 yesterday. There is a certain unreality in the concept of me being that old, just doesn't seem right, but there it is. Darcy was feeling better than usual and we went out to dinner for the first time in many months, that was lots of fun. It's amazing how much we can miss the simple things. She also got me the next 2 books in the Dresden series, yum.

Then we went home and watched the Democratic Convention. How thoughtful of them to hold it on my birthday like that. That was a lot of fun too. It was great seeing Teddy Kennedy up there looking strong and coherent, that might be the the last such speech we ever see. I don't remember a thing he said but that really wasn't what was important, now was it?

Then Michelle Obama came on and made her speech. I thought it was bad theater to have her come on after Teddy, how does someone top that? He rocked the room just by showing up. But I didn't need to worry, she was fantastic. Every part of the speech was perfect, I thought. Strong and intelligent, while still being warm and embracing to all those listening. I hope this puts a more human face on the Obama family and even those still nurturing bitterness over Hillary, or nurturing a life long racism, will be able to embrace them, and allow them to vote for Obama for president.

Tomorrow Hillary takes the stage and I sure hope she knocks it out of the park too and brings all her PUMA's into the fold.

2 comments:

Village Green said...

Happy Belated Birthday! 55 is nothin'! Todd Rundgren says that 60 is the new 30 and I have two and a half years to prepare for that feeling!

KevinBBG said...

Thanks, but if I live past 65 I'll be amazed. And unless Obama can get elected and implements new health insurance I won't even live that long.